The 2022 Del Mar racing season is here! The storied thoroughbred racing season at the legendary Del Mar track dates back to 1937, when co-founder Bing Crosby personally greeted guests at the gate. Seabiscuit, the famous horse whose story was critically acclaimed when it was brought to life on the big screen in 2003, won an infamous race at Del Mar in 1938, which was the first thoroughbred race ever to be broadcast nationwide on radio. If you’re heading to the races, check out the list below for where to stay, where to eat and things to do in the Rancho Santa Fe / Del Mar area.
Photo Credit: ranchovalencia.com
Where to Stay
- Rancho Valencia - This award-winning hotel and resort has ranked in the top hotels and resorts California and in the U.S. multiple years, making it a highly sought-after five star experience.
- Fairmont Grand Del Mar - This luxury property nestled alongside Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve near Carmel Valley and Torrey Pines provides a beautiful backdrop for a relaxing stay. With great dining and recreational opportunities on-site, your fun won’t be limited to the races.
Photo Credit: monarchdelmar.com
Where to Eat
- Monarch Ocean Pub – Located on the top floor of the Del Mar Plaza, The Monarch Ocean Pub always has a great mix of people having a good time. With floor-to-ceiling windows, this open concept restaurant offers a stunning view of the Del Mar coastline. The food and drinks I've tried has always been great and the service is fast and friendly.
- Pacifica Del Mar – This Del Mar staple for more than 30 years has been awarded the prestigious Gold Medallion for “Best Seafood Dining in San Diego,” and Wine Spectator’s “Award of Excellence.” You won’t go wrong with the Pacific Ocean views and local, fresh seafood here.
- Brigantine – This popular hangout is known for its fish tacos and great happy hour deals. Besides the fresh food, the Brigantine's bar offers a great view of the race track, which is a definite plus!
- Viewpoint Brewing Company – This casual venue has great views of the San Dieguito Lagoon. It’s menu features familiar dishes reinterpreted, complemented by 20 beers on tap with a mix of eclectic house-brewed styles.
Photo Credit: dmtc.com
Things to Do
- If you’re attending Opening Day, don’t miss the Hats Contest. Prizes for Best Racing Theme, Most Glamorous, Best Fascinator and Best Flowers will be awarded.
- Head over to the Official After Pony Party at Rancho Valencia featuring cocktails, an endless buffet, live DJ and dancing following the Opening Day races. Buying tickets in advance is a must.
Don’t miss your chance to experience the history and excitement for yourself. Opening Day at Del Mar Thoroughbred Club is Friday, July 22 with races every week through September 11. Pacific Classic Day will be Saturday, September 3 this year. Check out the full schedule at dmtc.com.